10 October 2009

It must be Spring



Looking up over the top of our new tank-top pergola toward R&L's property next door, I was suddenly struck by a glorious explosion of golden blossom that seems to have appeared almost overnight. The 'tree' is something they refer to as (I think) a Brazilian tree fern, a fast-growing, rather spindly plant, more like a tree than a fern, which is leafless for most of winter but then bears cascades of these beautiful yellow flowers in early Spring before resprouting its fern-like leaves again. It towers over the two-storey tall corner verandah of their house, and I'm afraid it may have weedy characteristics, because L has shown me several spin-off seedlings in various corners of her property that seem to have grown to one metre in no time. But I haven't found any sprouting in my yard, so it can't be too intrusive. And it is a wonderful sight against a blue sky, especially with a pink galah in the foreground, just out of sight in the big picture because I wasn't able to capture him in the same frame. He was waiting for me to go back into the house so he could take a closer look at the bird-feeding tray, which was already empty at this afternoon hour (but he wasn't to know that).

No comments:

About me

My photo
Journalist, editor, teacher, publishing manager, education consultant….but that’s all in the past. Even further back, I could add waitress, Five-and-Dime salesgirl and my favourite title: Girl Friday! All mixed in with wife, mother, caregiver and grandmother. But nowadays, based on time spent: gardener, cook, reader, writer and whatever!